Jerome Tuccille is best known among libertarians as the author of the 1971 book It Usually Begins With Ayn Rand, a humorous romp through the early libertarian movement with characters and their views exaggerated for comedic effect. He is also the author of the 1970 book Radical Libertarianism, and along with Murray Rothbard helped select the books reprinted in the Arno Press Right Wing Individualist Tradition in America series.
In 1974 he ran as the Free Libertarian Party of New York candidate for governor. Mr. Tuccille, when he ran for Governor, enrolled "advance" workers from the LP's Manhattan campaign headquarters, and those workers accompanied him to a few community centers, where he was usually the only gubernatorial candidate to address the assembled citizens. He was the first third-party candidate in NY history to run television ads. He received the endorsement of George F Will and also got an article in Newsweek.
However, by 1977 he had left the libertarian movement, announcing his departure with an article in the April 29, 1977 issue of National Review, "Goodbye Utopia - The Failure of Libertarianism", and began calling himself a conservative.
He has continued to write books including a number of biographies of successful people like Donald Trump, Alan Greenspan, the Gallo wine family, the Hunt family of Texas, and Rupert Murdoch. His 1999 book It Still Begins With Ayn Rand begins by picking up where It Usually Begins left off, and covers his 1974 Libertarian run for governor of New York, but the remainder of the book is a commentary on several U.S. presidents of the late 20th century and does not concern the libertarian movement after 1974.
- New York Governor, 1974
- Radical Libertarianism (1970)
- It Usually Begins With Ayn Rand (1971)
- It Still Begins With Ayn Rand (1999))
- War of the Werewolf (with Gary Greenberg, 2000)
- The Werewolf of Wall Street (with Gary Greenberg, 2009)
- Kingdom: The Story of the Hunts of Texas
- Gallo Be Thy Name
- King of Media: The Barry Diller Story;
- Hemingway and Gellhorn
- A Portrait of Hemingway as a Young Man: Romping Through Paris in the 1920s
This list is known to be incomplete
- Libertarian Review, August 1977, with article criticizing Tuccille's 1977 National Review article
- Jerome Tuccille's web site
|This article includes content from the public domain Libertarianwiki.|