Attempted Coup June 2021 of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire
This page (Attempted Coup June 2021 of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire) may contain disputed or controversial material because there are strong and differing opinions on some aspect of this topic. LPedia is an archive and takes no sides. The main article on a topic should focus on undisputed facts. Material that represents subjective opinions should be presented as such by one of the following methods: reference to another document that has a clearly identified author or source, a footnote that identifies the source along with the opinion, a brief summary in the main text of the nature of the dispute and the positions of each side. Authors should refrain from language that shows bias, e.g., praise of one side or slurs against another. Extended presentations of a particular viewpoint are best provided as separate documents or articles labeled as such; this allows readers to make their own judgments and arrive at their own conclusions. Thank you for respecting the purpose of LPedia. For more information see LPedia:Disputed or Controversial Material.
- THIS IS A WORK HEAVILY IN PROGRESS*
On June 5, 2021, there was an attempted illegitimate take-over of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire led by Jilletta Jarvis with the assistance of former LP National Chair Joe Bishop-Henchman who resigned in the aftermath. While there are many disputes over multiple issues in this event, the Libertarian National Committee sat an investigative committee who issued this report which contains evidence supporting this opening statement as well as evidence of other acts of malfeasance including the destruction of party emails by Joe Bishop-Henchman just prior to his restoration. Items in this article that are not mentioned in the report or other official documents of the Party should not be taken as positions of or findings of the Party.
- Account on the official Libertarian Party of New Hampshire website
- Blog post by Jilletta Jarvis declaring coup
Many believe, notably Caryn Ann Harlos and her supporters (she and they also maintain that she was removed from her position as LNC Secretary for "whistle-blowing" the involvement of Joe Bishop-Henchman and complicity through passivity of many others on the Libertarian National Committee) that the initial interviews done on June 5, 2021 of Jilletta Jarvis and the outsed (ultimate vindicated) board of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire were absolutely critical in exposing what happened and restoring the legitimate board. These interviews were conducted by LNC members Caryn Ann Harlos, Erik Raudsep, Joshua Smith, and Steven Nekhaila though nearly all of the credit (or blame depending on who you ask) seems to land on Harlos.
- Email dated June 12, 2021 from Justin O'Donnell to the LNC requesting condemnation of the attempted coup
- Email dated June 13, 2021 from Sean Dempsey regarding Jilletta Jarvis' Registration of Competing Party
- Email dated June 13, 2021 from Sean Dempsey regarding the suspension of Jilletta Jarvis as Chair
- Letter dated June 12, 2021 from the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire to the NH Secretary of State requesting investigation
- Email dated June 13, 2021 from Sean Dempsey demanding the return of stolen digital assets
- Email dated June 13, 2021 from Sean Dempsey regarding request for restoration of access
- Email dated June 14, 2021 from Sean Dempsey regarding legal and ethical concerns with membership privacy
- Email dated June 15, 2021 from Stephen Nass responding to allegations of Brian Shields
- Emailed dated June 16, 2021 from Sean Dempsey to LNC requesting suspension of LNC Chair Joseph Bishop-Henchman
- Email dated June 16, 2021 from Sean Dempsey expressing dismay at failure of LNC motion to return assets
- Undated letter from former Libertarian Party of New Hampshire treasurer refuting claims
- Undated statement from Stephen Nass regarding controversy
Related Documents and Other Items
- Facebook response of Brian Shields about allegations
- Timeline prepared by Dan Reale
- Email dated June 13, 2021 from Sean Dempsey regarding expulsion of Jackie Perry
- Email dated June 14, 2021 from Sean Dempsey to LPNH Judicial Committee to review the expulsion of Jackie Perry
- June 18, 2021 Resignation of Joseph Bishop-Henchman as LNC Chair
- June 18, 2021 Announcement of the dissolution of the Libertarian Pragmatist Caucus
- 2022 Request for Libertarian Party of New Hampshire to the LNC for assistance with ballot access funds
The LNC had appointed an investigatory committee to investigate these events who concluded that the then LNC-Chair Joseph Bishop-Henchman played an improper key role and then deleted his official Party emails prior to resigned from office.
The Committee members were: