|At-Large Committee Member|
Libertarian Party of New York
|view image gallery|
James "Jim" Ostrowski is a trial and appellate lawyer and libertarian author from Buffalo, New York. He ran for Governor of New York in 1994, but did not get the nomination. He was in second place behind Howard Stern, who won the nomination but dropped out months later. Ostrowski was also an At-Large Committee Member of the Libertarian Party of New York from 1994 to 1995.
Ostrowski graduated from St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute in 1975 and obtained a degree in philosophy from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1980. He graduated from Brooklyn Law School in 1983. In law school, he was writing assistant to Dean David G. Trager, now a federal judge in the Eastern District of New York. He was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and the International Law Moot Court Team.
He served as vice-chairman of the law reform committee of the New York County Lawyers Association (1986-88) and wrote two widely quoted reports critical of the law enforcement approach to the drug problem. He was chair of the human rights committee, Erie County Bar Association (1997-1999). He has written a number of scholarly articles on the law on subjects ranging from drug policy to the commerce clause of the constitution.
His articles have appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Buffalo News, Cleveland Plain Dealer and Legislative Gazette. His policy studies have been published by the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, the Ludwig von Mises Institute at Auburn University, and the Cato Institute in Washington, D.C. His articles have been used as course materials at numerous colleges including Brown, Rutgers and Stanford.
- Governor of New York, 1994
- At-Large Committee Member (1994—1995)
- Political Class Dismissed: Essays Against Politics (2004)
- Government Schools Are Bad for Your Kids: What You Need to Know (2009)
- Director Citizen Action (2010)
- Progressivism: A Primer on the Idea Destroying America (2014)
- The Impeachment of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton: For High Crimes in Syria and Libya (2016)
- How We Can Revive the Liberty Movement and Defeat the Progressive State of America (2019)
- The Second Amendment Works! A Primer on How to Defend Our Most Important Right (2020)
- Progressive Big Government's War on Black People (1865-2021) (2021)
- The Libertarian Devil's Dictionary (2021)
- A Crime Against Humanity: Essays Against the Lockdown (2021)
- Free the Children (2022)