Northwest Michigan Libertarian Party
|Northwest Michigan Libertarian Party|
|Jurisdiction:||Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Manistee, Missaukee and Wexford Counties, Michigan|
Northwest Michigan Libertarian Party (NWMLP) is an active affiliate of the Libertarian Party of Michigan.
As of March 2021
- David Holmer, Chair
- Cory Dean, Vice-Chair
- Philip Lindsay, Secretary
- Ben Boren, Outreach Director
- Andrew Hockshaw, At-Large Director
- Kyle Perrin, At-Large Director
Northwest Michigan Libertarians was a group that formed in early 2017 from over six years of grassroots work by activists, Ben Schultz and Donna Gundle-Krieg. Their mission was to spread libertarian ideas throughout Northwest Michigan. In April, the Chair of the Libertarian Party of Michigan, Bill Gelineau visited the group and gave them 5 delegate positions at the upcoming 2017 Lansing State Convention.
On January 16, 2018, the Political Director of the Libertarian Party of Michigan, Gregory Stempfle gave an online presentation for the group about elections in northwest Michigan and filing requirements. As a result, two libertarians were elected precinct delegates: Donna Gundle-Krieg for Antrim County and David Holmer for Manistee County.
On March 27, David Holmer became the group's first Libertarian candidate for public office, announcing his bid for Manistee County Commissioner at a local library board meeting. He also campaigned against the library millage based on libertarian platform of limited government and taxation is theft. And, on April 26, Donna Gundle-Krieg represented the Libertarian viewpoint and party platform around limited government for Traverse City's "That's Debatable" event. The event was two two-person teams facing off in formal debate, arguing the pros and cons of mandatory national service.
In July, the group was given an additional two positions, bringing their total to seven delegates for the 2018 Romulus State Convention. And, on August 25, delegates supported Bill Gelineau's nomination of Angelique Thomas for Lieutenant Governor and Gregory Stempfle on his nomination for Secretary of State.
The group's largest event was on September 12, with Bill Gelineau returning to northwest Michigan as the Libertarian candidate for Governor for a public forum in Manistee, Michigan. Also, Gregory Stempfle participated in the forum as the Libertarian candidate for Secretary of State, alongside David Holmer as the Libertarian candidate for Manistee County Commissioner and a number of city officials.
In November, the group had two Libertarians on the ballot. Robert Clark ran for Arcadia Township Supervisor in a two-way race with a Republican. David Holmer ran for Manistee County Commissioner in a two-way race with a Democrat.
- David Holmer, Manistee County Commissioner District 7 Results: 26.3% (294 votes)
- Robert Clark, Arcadia Township Supervisor (Manistee Co.) Results: 47.2% (218 votes)
Becoming an Affilliate
In September, 2019, NWMLP held a BBQ Meet & Greet, which was attended by LEC members of the Libertarian Party of Michigan and Libertarian Presidential candidate Kim Ruff. It was considered a success with over three dozen attendees and gaining several new members of the Libertarian Party.
- Ben Boren, US Representative Congressional District 1 Results: 1.5% (6,022 votes)
- Racin' Jason Crum, State Representative 104th District Results: 2.0% (1,194 votes)
- David Holmer, Manistee County Commissioner District 7 Results: 25.2% (308 votes)
- Donna Gundle-Krieg, Mancelona Township Trustee (Antrim Co.) Results: 54.4% (583 votes)
- Frank Pelky, Homestead Township Clerk (Benzie Co.) Results: 43.0% (525 votes)
- Cory Dean, Blair Township Trustee (Grand Traverse Co.) Results: 8.5% (1,056 votes)
Past Officers, Committee Members, and Other Contacts
- Peter Biskupski, founding secretary
- Kristen Kuhn, (February 2020-June 2020)
- David Holmer, (June 2020-March 2021)
- Political Director
- Outreach Director
- Ben Schultz, founding membership and outreach director
- Northwest Michigan Libertarians on Facebook
- Libertarians Meet State Chairman, Discuss Northwest Michigan Group, April 14, 2017.
- Running for Public Office in 2018 as a NW Michigan Libertarian, February 1, 2018.
- Antrim County 2018 Precinct Delegate Results, August 7, 2018.
- Manistee County 2018 Precinct Delegate Results, August 7, 2018.
- March 27, 2018 MCL Minutes
- Libertarian Candidate for Manistee County Commissioner Opposes Library Millage, July 3, 2018.
- Libertarian Included in That's Debatable Event in Traverse City, March 29, 2018.
- That's Debatable event, April 26, 2018.
- Northwest Michigan Libertarian Caucus to Chose Voting Delegates to State Convention, July 24, 2018.
- Libertarians Nominate Statewide Candidates for General Election, September 6, 2018.
- Libertarians to Host Public Forum for Upcoming Election, August 31, 2018.
- Stempfle Campaigns for Secretary of State in Northern Michigan, October 2, 2018.
- Northern Michigan Libertarians Do Well in Local Races, November 18, 2018.
- Northwest Michigan Libertarian BBQ Meet & Greet in Cadillac, September 8, 2019.
|Libertarian Party of Michigan|
|Affiliates:||Capital Area • Genesee • Livingston • Macomb • Northeast Lower Michigan • Oakland • Southwest Michigan • Washtenaw • Wayne-Monroe • West Michigan|
|Former affiliates:||Kalamazoo • Saint Clair • South Central Michigan • Thumb Area • Tri-City • Wayne|
|Campus:||Delta • Ferris • Hillsdale • Michigan State • Northern Michigan at Marquette • Michigan at Ann Arbor • Michigan at Flint • Western Michigan|
|Other:||Election Results • Chairs|