|Michael S. McDermott|
|At-Large Committee Member|
Libertarian Party of New York
Suffolk County Libertarian Party
|1st Vice Chair|
Suffolk County Libertarian Party
Michael S. "Mike" McDermott is an American politician. He was the Libertarian Party candidate for Governor of New York state, in the election of 2014, losing to Andrew Cuomo and falling very short of the 50,000 votes needed to maintain ballot access. The libertarian ticket dropped by 0.63% of all voters from the previous year and received less than a third of the votes from the last cycle despite being included in the only gubernatorial debate of 2014.
According to his website, McDermott worked as a real estate broker and developer from 2001 to 2008. As of 2017, he is the Chairman of the Libertarian Party of Suffolk County.
In 2012, he ran for Congress for New York's third congressional district, as well as in 2016, but he did not get on the ballot.
2012 U.S. House campaign
In 2012, McDermott was the Libertarian candidate who sought election to the U.S. House to represent the 3rd Congressional District of New York. He was defeated by Democrat Steve Israel on November 6, 2012.
2014 gubernatorial campaign
2016 U.S. House campaign
In 2016, McDermott ran for a seat in Congress representing New York's 3rd congressional district, in a race to replace Steve Israel, who decided to retire. He failed to make it onto the ballot, forcing him to be a write-in candidate.
- Candidate for Chair, 2015
- At-Large Committee Member (2016—2018)
- At-Large Committee Member, FLP (May 4, 2019?present)
- Member, Interim State Committee (February 9, 2019—present)
- Vice-Chair (2013; 2016—2017)
- Chair (2017—present)
|Gubernatorial election in New York, 2014 |
|Working Families||Andrew Cuomo||126,244||3.22%||0.13%|
|Women's Equality||Andrew Cuomo||53,802||1.41%||N/A|
|Total||Andrew Cuomo||Kathy Hochul||2,069,480||54.19%||8.86%|
|Total||Rob Astorino||Christopher Moss||1,536,879||40.24%||6.71%|
|Green||Howie Hawkins||Brian Jones||184,419||4.86%||3.56%|
|Libertarian||Michael McDermott||Chris Edes||16,967||0.42%||0.63%|
|Sapient||Steven Cohn||Bobby Kumar Kalotee||4,963||0.13%||N/A|
- Klepper, David (2014-10-22). "NY governor hopefuls debate economy, leadership". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141027092826/http://www.sfgate.com/business/energy/article/4-candidates-for-NY-governor-to-debate-5838930.php. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- Filler, Lane (2014-10-14). "Filler: Want big ideas? Listen to Howie Hawkins and Michael McDermott". Newsday. http://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/lane-filler/want-big-ideas-listen-to-howie-hawkins-and-michael-mcdermott-lane-filler-1.9502996. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "Who We Are". 3 March 2013. http://lpsc.li/home/who-we-are/. Retrieved 2020.
- "Michael McDermott to Lead Libertarian Team in Drive for Governor’s Race". 27 April 2014. http://lpsc.li/home/2014/04/27/mike-mcdermott-to-lead-libertarian-team-in-drive-for-governors-race/. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Libertarians nominate LIer Michael McDermott for governor". Newsday. 2012. http://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/spin-cycle/libertarians-nominate-lier-michael-mcdermott-for-governor-1.7850825. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Jack Martins' bid for delay shakes up House race". http://www.theislandnow.com/news/jack-martins-bid-for-delay-shakes-up-house-race/article_11e66696-67ca-11e6-bdf0-073fc20172ad.html.
- Hackman, Michelle (30 August 2016). "N.Y. Republican Seeks to Postpone Election Date to December". Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/n-y-republican-seeks-to-postpone-house-election-date-to-december-1472521217.
- "NYS Board of Elections Unofficial Election Night Results". http://nyenr.elections.state.ny.us/. Retrieved 17 December 2014.