|Libertarian Party of New Hampshire|
|Birth:||10 October 1987|
|Education:||St Anselm College|
|Occupation:||Director of Development, Advanced Mycology|
|Residence:||Los Angeles, California|
|view image gallery|
Avens O'Brien is a writer, speaker, entrepreneur, and activist based in Los Angeles, California. She sits on the board of Feminists for Liberty. She is a frequent speaker and photographer at liberty-oriented conferences and a writer on libertarian subject matter, known for her contributions at The Libertarian Republic, an online news publisher. She publishes her convention photography and much of her commentary on Facebook, and on her personal Substack.
She was a delegate seated with the delegation of the Libertarian Party of California at the 2016 National Convention, 2018 National Convention, and National Convention 2022 and was the Vice-Chair of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire from 2006-2008. Her long-time partner (since 2012) is former Vice-Presidential candidate Judd Weiss. She is a Lifetime Member of the national Libertarian Party (2020), as well as a Lifetime Member of the Libertarian Party of California (2021). In 2022, the Libertarian Party of Texas gave her a Lifetime Membership to their state affiliate.
Early & Personal Life
Avens O'Brien is often referred to as a "Second Generation Libertarian" due to her parents' involvement in party activism in the 1970s and 1980s. Her mother is Domi O'Brien, former Secretary of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire and candidate for Governor of New Hampshire in 1986. Her father is Arne Erickson, former activist and candidate for several offices in New Hampshire. Her mother's father Jack O'Brien ran for Congress as a Libertarian in New Hampshire in 1974. Both of her parents were active in petition drives and ballot access initiatives as well as campaigning locally for candidates, and hosting speakers such as Murray Rothbard and Irwin Schiff at their home. Her mother was very active with the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union, and the Alliance for the Separation of School & State. Her parents were homeschoolers and advocates for alternative education.
O'Brien grew up primarily in New Hampshire, and began college at 14. Her early activism was primarily centered around opposing the federal government's actions following the events of September 11th, 2001. She attended numerous anti-war protests and a Badnarik campaign event in NYC in 2004. She ran for and was elected Vice Chair of the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire in 2006, at age 19, and stepped down in 2008.
She moved to Los Angeles in 2010. She began dating activist Judd Weiss in 2012. She began photographing liberty events in 2013, and speaking at liberty conferences in 2016.
O'Brien worked at Euro Pacific Capital from 2013-2014.
She is an investor in and contractor (she works in finance & accounting) for a YouTube Multi-Channel Network specializing in advertising & influencers within emerging Asian markets, since 2014. She worked in the cannabis industry in Los Angeles from 2017-2021.
She also manages psychedelic education through Instagram & Tiktok as @YourTripSister.
- Jo Jorgensen, 2020: Volunteer (Press Releases, Speechwriting, Photography)
- Vermin Supreme, 2020: Nominating Speech
- Gary Johnson, 2016: Volunteer (Social Media)
- John McAfee/Judd Weiss, 2016: Operations Manager, Communications
- Upon McAfee's death, she published a remembrance of him on her personal blog viewable here.
- Gary Johnson, 2012: Volunteer (Canvassing)
- George Phillies, 2008: Volunteer (Petitioning, Campaign Events)
- Michael Badnarik, 2004: Volunteer (Petitioning)
O'Brien has stated publicly that she does not endorse candidates for Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary or Treasurer as a rule, citing her interest in unity and decreased factionalization. She has endorsed one candidate for internal party office (LNC At-Large) and two presidential candidates seeking the nomination.
- Valerie Sarwark, for LNC At-Large, 2020
- Vermin Supreme for President, 2020
- John McAfee for President, 2016
Internal Party Positions
- Vice-Chair, Libertarian Party of New Hampshire, 2006-2008
- Judicial Committee, Libertarian Party of Los Angeles County, 2021
- In 2021, she made a statement on Facebook declining nomination to the LNC viewable here.
Caucuses & Liberty Organizations
O'Brien does not endorse any broad-based caucus within the Libertarian Party, preferring single-issue caucuses.
- Reproductive Liberty Coalition, Chair & Founder 2020 - Present
- Feminists for Liberty, Board of Directors 2019 - Present
- Ladies of Liberty Alliance, Los Angeles Chapter Leader 2016 - Present
- Pro-Choice Libertarians, Member
- Psychedelic Caucus, Member
- Association of Libertarian Feminists, Member
- Alumni for Liberty, Member 2014 - Present
Conventions & Party Events
- National Convention 2012
- National Convention 2016 (Breakout Speaker, Delegate)
- National Convention 2018 (Breakout Panelist, Delegate, Photographer)
- National Convention 2020 (Delegate, Nominating Speech, Photographer)
- National Convention 2022 (Delegate, Photographer)
- 50th Anniversary Event in Denver 2021 (Photographer, Attendee)
- New Hampshire Convention 2002 (Delegate)
- New Hampshire Convention 2004 (Delegate)
- New Hampshire Convention 2006 (Delegate, Vice-Chair)
- New Hampshire Convention 2007 (Delegate, Vice-Chair)
- New Hampshire Convention 2008 (Delegate, Vice-Chair)
- California Convention 2016 (Delegate)
- Minnesota Convention 2016 (Keynote Speaker, Photographer)
- California Convention 2018 (Breakout Speaker, Delegate)
- Texas Convention 2018 (Breakout Speaker, Photographer)
- New Hampshire Convention 2019 (Keynote Speaker, Photographer)
- Texas Convention 2020 (Gala Speker, Photographer)
- California Convention 2021 (Photographer, Delegate)
- California Convention 2022 (Photographer, Delegate)
- Pennsylvania Convention 2022 (Photographer)
- Minnesota Convention 2022 (Lunch Speaker, Photographer)
- Texas Convention 2022 (Lunch Speaker, Photographer)
- Los Angeles County Convention 2014 (Photographer, Delegate)
- Bexar County, Texas Fundraiser 2018 (Speaker)
- Los Angeles County Convention 2021 (Photographer, Delegate)
Noteworthy Liberty Speaking Engagements
- Libertarian Party: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly & The Optimistic  (Keynote Speech) – Minnesota Convention 2016
- Women in Liberty (Panel) - National Convention 2016
- How To Talk About Liberty (Speech) – National Convention 2016
- Sex Work & Liberty (Panel) - PorcFest 2017
- Women in Liberty (Panel) – PorcFest, 2017
- You’re Not Fucking Us Up (Raising Liberty Kids) (Mainstage Speech) – PorcFest, 2017
- Millennials & Liberty (Panel) – Freedom Fest, 2017
- Feminism & Liberty (Panel) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2017
- Alternative Education Methods (Panel) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2017
- How To Talk About Liberty (w/ Naomi Brockwell) (Keynote Speech) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2017
- Social Media & Liberty – National Convention 2018
- Burning Man (Panel) - Freedom Fest, 2018
- MeToo Movement (Panels) - Freedom Fest, 2018
- Loving Liberty, Not Just Hating The Other Guy (Mainstage speech) – Anarchapulco 2019
- Agorism (Panel) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2019
- Drug War (Panel) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2019
- Social Media (Panel) – Australian Libertarian Society, 2019
- Feminism (Panel) – Freedom Fest 2019
- Masculinity (Panel) – Freedom Fest 2019
- Millennials (Panel) – Freedom Fest 2019
- Markets, Not Politics (Mainstage Opening Speech) – AnarchoVegas 2019
- Markets, Not Politics (Mainstage Speech) - Liberty Forum 2020
- Making Yourself Useful for Liberty (Mainstage speech) – Anarchapulco 2020
- Vermin Supreme Nomination Speech - LNC 2020
- Victimless Crimes (Breakout Speech) - Australian Libertarian Society, 2020
- Making Yourself Useful for Liberty (Gala speech) - LP Texas 2020
- Feminism & Liberty (Panel) - Freedom Fest 2021
- Making Liberty Look Good (Breakfast Speaker) - Minnesota Convention 2022
- Making Liberty Look Good (Lunch Speaker) - Texas Convention 2022
- Sex Work Decriminalization (Panel) - Freedom Fest 2022
- Life After Roe: What Abortion Prohibition Looks Like (Panel) - Freedom Fest 2022
- Taboo & Grey Markets (Panel) - Freedom Fest 2022