|Region 8 Alternate Representative|
Libertarian National Committee
with Patrick McKnight, Region 8 Regional Representative
|Birth:||July 12, 1968 |
Manhattan, New York, USA
|Education:||University of Maryland|
|Military:||United States Marine Corps|
|Residence:||New York City, New York|
|view image gallery|
Larry Sharpe (born July 12, 1968) is an American business consultant and political activist. He was a Libertarian candidate for Vice-President in 2016. He is founder and Managing Director at NeoSage. In 2018, he ran for Governor of New York, and received over 90,000 votes, securing ballot access for the Libertarian Party of New York for the first time.
He is a founding member of the Libertarian Party of Queens County.
Early Life and Career
Sharpe was born in Manhattan, New York as an only child. His birth parents gave him up for adoption, and he was adopted when he was only a few weeks old. His adopted mother was a German immigrant who worked as a clerk and a waitress. His adopted father was a serviceman, a Policeman, and later a Corrections Officer, who died of cancer when Sharpe was a pre-teen. Sharpe joined the Marines at 17 to find positive male role-models.
Sharpe eventually decided to start a business, but it had a mediocre start, so he sold it. Sharpe bounced back with another business that took off, but was devastated in the financial crisis of 2007-2008. He decided that he would try again, and he has built an organization that has helped many other organizations.
Sharpe is a veteran.. He attended the University of Maryland where he received a bachelor's degree in anthropology. He became an English teacher and in 2001 he started Prime Distribution Inc. and later sold it. In 2004, he founded Neo-Sage, where he is currently Managing Director.
Political History and Views
Sharpe first became interested in the Libertarian Party during Gary Johnson's 2012 Presidential campaign. He became a member of the Libertarian Party of New York. In 2014, he volunteered for Michael McDermott's campaign for Governor, serving as a driver and debate coach (along with Phil Ricci) for the gubernatorial debate held in Buffalo. He has used videos and social media to promote Libertarian ideas. Sharpe worked on Johnson's Our America PAC before deciding to run for the Vice-Presidential nomination.
Sharpe believes that US laws should be simpler and fairer. He is a supporter of free trade, small business, an acceptance of new technology, and bringing the black market into normal business. Sharpe supports criminal justice reform, term limits, and single-issue voting in Congress.
2016 Campaign for Vice President of the United States
- Will Coley, 2016 Vice-Presidential Candidate
- Derrick Grayson, 2016 Vice-Presidential Candidate 
|Daniel Hogan (write-in)||1||0.115%|
|Gary Johnson (write-in)||1||0.115%|
|Austin Petersen (write-in)||1||0.115%|
No candidate received a majority of delegate votes on the first ballot, leading to the next round of voting. Alicia Dearn was eliminated from the 2nd ballot, and endorsed Bill Weld. Will Coley and Derrick Grayson withdrew from the race and endorsed Larry Sharpe.
|Derrick Grayson (withdrew)||9||1.032%|
|Mark Stewart (write-in)||1||0.115%|
2018 Campaign for Governor of New York
Sharpe considered running for the Libertarian Party nomination for Governor of New York in 2018. On July 12, 2017, he made the official announcement that he will be running for Governor of New York in 2018. On April 24 2018, Sharpe nominated Andrew Hollister, who was confirmed by the Libertarian Party of New York at the 2018 Libertarian Party of New York Convention to be his running mate for Lieutenant Governor.
- North Country Public Radio (February 26, 2018)
- MyTwinTiers (February 20, 2018)
- WAER (February 19, 2018)
- Reason (February 7, 2018)
- 71Republic (February 3, 2018)
- 71Republic (February 2, 2018)
- Politico (January 25, 2018)
- Reason (January 14, 2018)
- The Saratogian (January 13, 2018)
- Spectrum Local News (January 12, 2018)
- The Jack News (November 6, 2017)
- Gary Johnson, 2012 and 2016 Libertarian Party presidential nominee
- Bill Weld, 68th Governor of Massachusetts, 2016 Libertarian Party vice-presidential nominee
- Michelle Darnell, Libertarian Party of Washington candidate for Washington Senate District 48.
Working Families, Independence Party, Women's Equality
|Andrew Cuomo/Katy Hochul||59.62%||3,635,340|
|Marc Molinaro/Jullie Killian||36.21%||2,207,602|
|Green||Howie Hawkins/Jia Lee||1.70%||103,946|
|Libertarian||Larry Sharpe/Andrew Hollister||1.56%||95,033|
|Serve America Movement||Stephanie Miner/Michael Volpe||0.91%||55,441|
2020 Campaign for Vice President of the United States
On April 13 2020, Larry Sharpe was announced as Jim Gray's running mate in the 2020 Presidential election.
After Jim Gray was eliminated from the 2nd ballot, Sharpe withdrew from the race for Vice-President.
2022 Campaign for Governor of New York
Sharpe was nominated as the LPNY's candidate for Governor in 2022.
Sharpe has received the endorsement of Andrew Yang's Forward Party and Unite NY. This means that he would appear on three lines in the 2022 ballot.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Doherty, Brian (May 28, 2016), Meet the Libertarian Party's VP Candidates, Reason, http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/28/the-libertarian-partys-vice-presidential, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Libertarian Party, Larry Sharpe, Libertarian Party, http://libertarian.nationbuilder.com/sharpe, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ Sharpe, Larry. "Issues". http://www.sharpe4vp.com/issues. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- ↑ Meet Larry, Larry Sharpe for Libertarian Vice-President 2016, http://www.sharpe4vp.com/meet-larry, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ Weigel, David (May 29, 2016), Libertarians pick Johnson and Weld ticket after close contest, The Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/05/29/libertarians-pick-johnson-and-weld-ticket-after-close-contest/?utm_term=.d05e19df2fd4, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ [Libertarian National Convention Vice-Presidential Debate]
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4601302/will-coley-drops-endorses-sharpe-lp-vp
- ↑ http://www.lncregion1.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-Convention-Minutes-v2.pdf
- ↑ Libertarian Party Picks Johnson/Weld Presidential Ticket, Onondaga County Libertarian Party, June 2, 2016, http://onondagalibertarians.org/libertarian-party-picks-johnsonweld-presidential-ticket/, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ Evans, Jordan (October 5, 2016), Libertarians Organize Ahead of November, Jordan Evans, https://jwevans.co/2016/10/05/libertarians-organize-ahead-of-november/, retrieved December 3, 2016
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/Sharpe4Gov/posts/1958016677861358
- ↑ "Gary Johnson Endorses Larry Sharpe for NY Governor". 26 October 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjepuZkfyuo. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- ↑ https://www.thejacknews.com/politics/political-highlights/gov-bill-weld-endorses-larry-sharpe-for-governor-of-new-york-at-students-for-liberty-conference/
- ↑ https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1976774759274875&id=100008271105758
- ↑ https://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/elections/2018/general/2018Governor.pdf
- ↑ https://reason.com/2020/04/13/judge-jim-gray-to-seek-libertarian-presidential-nomination/
This article is based on a Wikipedia article and is controlled by version 3.0 of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA).
- 1968 Births
- Infoboxes with birth information
- Wikipedia Based Articles
- New York 2016 National Convention Delegates
- New York 2018 National Convention Delegates
- 2016 National Convention Delegates
- 2018 National Convention Delegates
- 2016 Candidates for Vice-Presidential Nomination
- 2020 National Convention Delegates
- New York 2020 National Convention Delegates
- 2016 Candidates
- 2018 Candidates
- 2020 Candidates
- 2022 Candidates
- 2020 Candidates for Vice-Presidential Nomination
- Party Activists from the 2020s
- Candidates for Governor
- New York Candidates for Governor
- New York Party Activists
- New York Local Party Founding Members
- Party Activists from the 2010s