Monroe County Libertarian Party
|Monroe County Libertarian Party|
|Jurisdiction:||Monroe County, New York|
|Chartered:||April 1, 2007|
The Monroe County Libertarian Party is a chapter of the Libertarian Party of New York. It was founded on April 1, 2007 as the Greater Rochester Libertarian Party, a regional chapter comprised of Monroe, Orleans, Ontario, Wayne, Genesee, and Livingston Counties. Genesee and Livingston Counties succeeded to form their own chapters in 2013 and 2016, respectively. In June 2017, the Greater Rochester Libertarian Party changed from a regional chapter to a one county chapter, becoming the Monroe County Libertarian Party.
The history of a local affiliate of the Libertarian Party in the Rochester, New York area dates back to the 1970s, according to Murray Rothbard in The Libertarian Forum (January 1977), in which he mentioned there was an active group of Libertarians in Rochester.
The affiliate was mentioned in a newspaper article from July 1984, where seventeen Libertarians marched in the rain for liberty, accompanied by seven police officers. W. Alan Burris served as Vice-Chair at the time. The party faded in the early 1990s, based on a statement from Bruce Voris in a 2000 newspaper article upon the formation of the second incarnation of the party.
In 2000, the Monroe County Libertarian Party was formed. Their founding convention occurred on February 15, 2000 at the Rochester Engineering Society Conference Room. Steve Healey was the organizer and was elected Chair and State Representative. The organization was dechartered on May 7, 2006.
The current incarnation of the chapter was formed on April 1, 2007 under the leadership of Chris Edes, who served as Chair for five years. In 2015, Rochester hosted the Libertarian Party of New York State Convention. On June 1, 2017, the Greater Rochester Libertarian Party changed their bylaws and became the Monroe County Libertarian Party.
In May 2019, Rochester hosted the 2019 state convention. On May 5, 2019, under the new rules of the party, the Interim County Organization for Monroe County was approved by the Interim State Committee.
- Steve Becker, Chair (since August 23, 2020)
- Jack Terran, Vice-Chair (since August 23, 2020)
- Barbara Toal, Secretary (since March 2, 2019)
- Jack Terran, Treasurer (since March 20, 2016)
- Greece Libertarian Party Town Committee
- Will Phillips, Chair
- Barbara Toal, Secretary
- Jack Terran, Treasurer
- February 15, 2000
- February 8, 2003
- February 26, 2005
- April 1, 2007
- March 20, 2016
- March 18, 2017
- March 2, 2019
- May 2, 2019 (ICO)
- David G. Hoesley (1984)
- Stephen Healey (elected February 15, 2000)
- Rodney Boyd, elected February 8, 2003)
- Christopher Edes (2007—2012)
- Drew Beeman (2013)
- Christopher Edes (March 20, 2016—March 18, 2017)
- Kevin Wilson (March 18, 2017—August 23, 2020)
- W. Alan Burris, Vice-Chair (1984)
- Kevin Wilson (2015—March 18, 2017)
- Tony D'Orazio (March 18, 2017—January 8, 2020)
- Sean Phelan (February 6, 2020—July 7, 2020)
- Vacant (July 7, 2020—August 23, 2020)
- State Representative
- Stephen Healey (elected February 15, 2000; February 8, 2003)
- Steve Becker (March 20, 2016—March 18, 2017)
- Sean Phelan (March 18, 2017—July 7, 2020)
- Jarrod Thuman (March 20, 2016—March 2, 2019)
- Joe Kirchner (elected February 8, 2003)